Man Banned From Soccer Games

(PRESTON, ENGLAND) – A Barrow man has been given a three year ban from attending any football matches in England, Scotland and Wales.

Jon Doherty, aged 20, from Victoria Road, Barrow-in-Furness was handed a three year football banning order after he was arrested by British Transport Police for being drunk and disorderly at Preston Railway station on 3rd November 2012 after returning from the Guiseley v Barrow FA Cup game.

On 18th December at Preston Magistrates Court he pleaded guilty and was fined £70 with £75 costs. He was also given a three year banning order prohibiting him from attending any games in England, Scotland and Wales.

Chief Inspector Mike O’Hagan said, “Doherty had returned from going to his first football match since his previous three year football banning order had expired. His initial ban expired in September 2012 and, sadly, by not keeping hold of his senses and acting in an aggressive manner, he now faces another three year ban.”

“Cumbria Constabulary works closely with football clubs, stewards and other partners to ensure that football matches are enjoyable, family events that are not spoiled by violence, O’Hagan continued. “Doherty couldn’t keep hold of his senses and this case demonstrates how important it is to not drink too much and lose control. Everyone has the right to enjoy themselves safely and if there are a few that drink too much, go too far and spoil things for others – they should expect to be arrested and face the consequences of their actions.”


About the Author

Ian Shalapata
Ian writes for and provides imagery to Square Media Group as well as accepting freelance photographic assignments. In addition, he has contributed to media organizations, sporting groups, and individuals across North America including the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, Chatham-Kent Sports Network, the Golf Association of Michigan, League 1 Ontario, as well as numerous colleges and universities in Canada and the United States. Email Ian Shalapata