(AUSTIN, TX) – Audrey Lacroix of Point-Rouge, Que., received a jolt of early-season confidence on Sunday with a victory in the women’s 200-metre butterfly to conclude the U.S., Grand Prix swimming competition.
Lacroix won the race in two minutes and 09.55 seconds with Kathryn McLaughlin of the U.S., second in 2:10.37 and 16-year-old Noemie Thomas of Richmond, B.C., the 100-m fly winner on Friday, third for the bronze in 2:11.43.
“It was my first race since the Olympics and I’m very satisfied,” said Lacroix, also second in the 100-m fly behind Thomas. “I had a very good training camp and it was important for me to start the season with a strong result. At the same time I was also able to pinpoint today some elements I’ll need to work on towards the world championship trials (this March in Victoria).”
Canada earned two more medals on Sunday.
Hilary Caldwell of Surrey, B.C., took silver in the women’s 100-m backstroke with Lauren Lavigna of Vancouver fifth. Alexa Komarnycky of Victoria added a bronze in the women’s 200-m individual medley. It was a second medal for both Komarnycky and Caldwell.
On the men’s side: Jake Tapp of Langley, B.C., and Kelly Aspinall of Vancouver were fourth and fifth in the 200-m backstroke while fifth place finishes were also posted by Alec Page of Victoria in the 200-m butterfly, Andrew Ford of Guelph, Ont., in the 200-m IM and Will Brothers of Victoria in the 1,500 freestyle.
Canadian swimmers ended the meet with 13 medals (four gold, seven silver and two bronze):
- Noemie Thomas, Richmond B.C. (2): gold in 100-m butterfly and bronze in 200-m butterfly.
- Audrey Lacroix, Pont-Rouge, Que. (2): gold in 200-m butterfly and silver in 100-m butterfly.
- Alexa Komarnycky, Victoria (2): gold in 400-m individual medley and bronze in 200-m IM.
- Barbara Jardin, Montreal (2): silver in 200-m freestyle and 400-m freestyle.
- Hilary Caldwell, Surrey, B.C. (2): silver in 100-m backstroke and 200-m backstroke.
- Ryan Cochrane, Victoria (1): gold in 400-m freestyle.
- Alec Page, Victoria (1): silver in 400-m IM.
- Victoria Poon, Montreal (1): silver in 50-m freestyle.
Rachel Nicol of Lethbridge, Alta., who was swimming for Southern Methodist University earned gold in the 200-m breaststroke and silver in the 100-m breaststroke.