(TORONTO, ON) – Rogers today announced a dream team of broadcasters who will anchor NHL national coverage across all Rogers properties, as well as Hockey Night in Canada. Together, George Stroumboulopoulos, Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Daren Millard, and Jeff Marek will be cornerstones of Rogers’s NHL coverage this coming fall.
The team will deliver more than 500 regular season games across 13 networks and 7 platforms, including up to 7 games every Saturday night, plus "Hometown Hockey" every Sunday hosted from communities across Canada, and every game of the NHL Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final.
The announcement was made today by Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet and NHL Properties, Rogers.
"We know how passionate fans are about hockey, and so we’ve brought together the best anchors to deliver the best hockey experience to Canadians," said Moore. "George is one of the smartest and most versatile broadcasters in the business, and Ron and Don are icons in the hockey world. Along with Daren and Jeff, our new broadcast team brings a tremendous amount of talent, expertise and personality – and most importantly, they all possess a supreme passion for hockey."
George Stroumboulopoulos, Host
- Stroumboulopoulos is one of Canada’s most popular and respected broadcasters. He will be returning to his roots in sports, having spent the first four years of his career as a sports reporter at The Fan 590 (now Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
- Beginning October 2014, Stroumboulopoulos will host Hockey Night in Canada, and will be the studio anchor for Sunday night NHL Hometown Hockey broadcasts on City. He’ll also host other NHL broadcasts on Sportsnet and other Rogers platforms
"Hockey is one of my deep-seated passions and I’m thrilled to be going full circle, returning to my roots in sports broadcasting,” said Stroumboulopoulos. “It’s a dream for me to work with Ron MacLean and Don Cherry, as well as my old friend Jeff Marek who I started my career with. I’m also looking forward to working with Daren Millard and the entire team at Rogers."
Don Cherry, Analyst, Coach’s Corner
- The legendary Cherry has been captivating Canadian hockey audiences with his engaging opinions on Coach’s Corner since 1980. Cherry will continue to appear on Coach’s Corner every Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada with Ron MacLean
"I knew that Rogers would never mess with the greatest segment on television,” Cherry said of the changes. “We’re going into our 29th season of Coach’s Corner, and we’re stronger than ever."
Ron MacLean, Host
- MacLean, with more than 30 years of award-winning experience under his belt, will host Coach’s Corner on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights, and will be front and centre on Sunday nights, the new night for hockey in Canada, hosting Hometown Hockey Community Celebration
- MacLean will also host Hockey Day in Canada, an important Canadian tradition for 14 years
"I’m thrilled about the way Rogers and Hockey Night in Canada intend to recognize the community in the new deal,” said Ron MacLean. “Thirty-five million voices will play a part, and I’m simply honoured to be a part of the team. As for Grapes and me – year 29 is coming up. For 28 years, Don’s been wired but now he’s wireless. What a break."
Daren Millard, Host
- Millard has been a member of Sportsnet’s broadcast team since the network’s inception in 1998. He will host Wednesday Night Hockey on Sportsnet, starting this fall
- In addition, Millard will continue to host Hockey Central @ Noon, Canada’s No. 1 hockey talk radio show on Sportsnet 590 The FAN and Sportsnet, as well as Toronto Maple Leafs regional hockey on Sportsnet
"I’ve been at Sportsnet since day one, and I couldn’t be happier to have this new challenge of hosting NHL hockey on the national stage,” Millard said. “It’s a privilege to work at Rogers and it’s going to be a privilege working with the likes of Cherry, MacLean and Stroumboulopoulos."
Jeff Marek, Host
- Marek has been host of Hockey Central on Sportsnet since 2011, and was also the former host of Hockey Night in Canada Radio. He will host Thursday Night Hockey on Sportsnet 360, in addition to the weekend afternoon NHL pre-game shows on Sportsnet, starting this fall
- In addition to his NHL responsibilities, Marek will host Friday Night Hockey and the Memorial Cup
"Twenty years ago, George and I used to sit in the producers’ room at The Fan 590 radio station in Toronto and talk about how we had to, one day, work in hockey together,” reminisced Marek. “So today’s a great day. To share a place in the presentation of the NHL with George, Daren, Ron and Don is both humbling and inspiring. And, I’m really excited to be part of my first hockey love – junior. The CHL, for anyone who knows me, holds a special place."
In November 2013, Rogers Communications secured a 12-year deal with the NHL for exclusive national broadcast and multimedia rights in Canada, beginning with the 2014-15 season.