By Ryan Mendonca
(TECUMSEH, ON) – The year 1996 was a vintage birth year for girls playing for Tecumseh Soccer Club. Nineteen local players, who are graduating from youth soccer in 2014 having represented Tecumseh, can be found on the women’s soccer rosters this fall at colleges and universities in Ontario and the United States.
These players recently completed their club season either in the American-based Super Y League, where they were 2013 North American Champions, or the Windsor and District Youth Soccer League, and were 2014 Under 18 League Champions.
The group is led by Belle River High School graduate Bella Habuda who has already recorded three goals for the University of Louisville in the prestigious Atlantic Coast Conference.
The new collegiate athletes include seven first year members of the University of Windsor Lancers, which makes a total of fourteen former Tecumseh SC players on the Lancer women`s soccer roster, and two new St Clair College Saints.
- Gabriella Alagha, University of Windsor
- Carly Alfano, Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Nora Broderick, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan
- Monica Brydges, Madonna University, Livonia, Michigan
- Cassie Chretien, University of Windsor
- Melanie Daniel, St. Clair College
- Greta Fritz, Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Dominique Giroux, Olivet College, Olivet, Michigan
- Bella Habuda, University of Louisville, Louisville , Kentucky
- Clarice Hogan, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario
- Amber Hosker, University of Windsor
- Maria Jaramillo, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Krystin Lawrence, University of Windsor
- Aja Mutterback, St. Clair College
- Lauren Parent, University of Windsor
- Andrea Parr, University of Windsor
- Tess Roberts, University of Windsor
- Brittany Sovran, Rochester College, Rochester Hills, Michigan
- Terryn Walker, Algoma University, Sault Ste-Marie, Ontario
For those who might wish to follow these girls’ footsteps to university or college soccer, try-outs for Tecumseh Soccer Clubs’ girls teams will be held at L’Essor High School from 1:00 pm until 2:30 pm on September 20 and 21. Boys try-outs are from 10:00 am to 11:30 am.