By Ian Shalapata
(WINDSOR, ON) – The Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit will be the site of a fight tonight; nine of them to be exact. Boxers from as far away as the Dominican Republic will compete in a fight card in the hopes to move higher in their weight-class rankings.
One heavyweight fighter, Windsor’s own Ali Mansour, will be featured in the premier event of the evening as he takes on Detroit-born Damon McCreary, in a bout scheduled for 8 rounds.
Mansour is a former two-time Canadian Amateur Champion and, since going pro, he has fought to a 16-0 record, with 9 KO’s. His last two fights were unanimous decisions going the full distance, the last one being on May 16. However, he usually disposes of his opponent in the 1st round.
The Canadian will have his work cut out for him with McCreary. The Detroiter is coming off a loss by TKO to Jordan Shimmell in Chicago on April 14, but he is sporting a 15-2 record with 9 KO’s. McCreary is used to going longer during a bout while the 8-rounder tonight will be Mansour’s first such endeavour.
If Mansour prevails, it will be an early call. However, if the bout goes beyond 3 rounds, McCreary will have a fighting chance.
- Darryl Cunningham vs Bruce Rumbolz 8 rounds super middleweight
- Willie Fortune vs Skylar Thompson 8 rounds middleweight
- Anthony Barnes vs Craig Schwallier 6 rounds super middleweight
- Jeffrey Kugel vs Michael Lunsford 4 rounds heavyweight
- Garvin Crout vs Ramon Guevara 4 rounds lightweight
- Joel Scullin vs Carlos Alcala 4 rounds lightweight
- Craig Lewis vs Milton Jennings 4 rounds heavyweight
- Jerry Waterson vs David Mbah heavyweight