Lancers Drop Game 1 To Guelph


A perfect rocket by Ryan Green nestles inside the goal post to the stick side of Guelph net minder Andrew DAgostini. It was the only goal of the evening for the Lancers as the Gryphons took game 1 by a score of 3-1.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

Header-image-Shalapata-2By Ian Shalapata

(WINDSOR, ON) – Game 1 of the OUA West finals was held at South Windsor Arena last night and the visiting Guelph Gryphons threw a wrench into the Lancers’ plans to repeat as Queen’s Cup Champions. After 60 minutes of play, the Gryphons skated away with a 3-1 victory and sent the Lancers back to the drawing board.

Much of the first period was scoreless despite the Lancers taking the play to Guelph. They hounded the Gryphons but just couldn’t put the puck behind net minder Andrew D’Agostini. As the period was winding down, Lancer forward Mike Christou was inexplicably called for goaltender interference at 18:05. Less than a minute into the ensuing power-play, Nicholas Trecapelli put Guelph in front, beating Parker VanBuskirk with a shot to the top shelf.


Somehow this mugging of Mike Christou resulted in a goaltender interference penalty call against the Lancer forward. Guelph scored on the ensuing power-play to take a 1-0 lead.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

At 4:17 of the second, Michael Hasson put the Gryphons ahead by two when he, also, picked the upper portion of the net on VanBuskirk after a Lancer give-away inside the blue line.

Almost two minutes later, Lancer assistant captains Spencer Pommells and Matt Beaudoin set up Ryan Green for the Lancers only goal. Green, who has been hot of late, rifled a shot just inside the post, beating D’Agostini to the stick side.

At 16:07, Guelph regained the two goal lead when a shot toward the Lancer goal went wide and Carlos Amestoy sniped the rebound off the kicker board to the left of VanBuskirk.


The human pinball Dylan Seguin (41) looks to make the life of Nicholas Trecapelli (22) uncomfortable. The Gryphon player registered a goal and an assist in game 1 against the Lancers.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

The 3rd period was scoreless as the Gryphons held on to their lead and staved off a last ditch effort as the Lancers went with an extra attacker in the dying moments.

D’Agostini stopped 34 shots for the win while VanBuskirk turned away 24.


Ryan Green (6) watches as Spencer Pommells wins a faceoff against Guelph’s Michael Hasson. Pommells would assist, along with Matt Beaudoin, on Green’s lone marker for Windsor.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

The series will now shift to Guelph on Friday night when the Lancers make the trip up Highway 401 for a 7:30 pm puck drop. If necessary, the two teams will return to South Windsor Arena for the deciding game on Saturday; also a 7:30 pm start.


About the Author

Ian Shalapata
Ian writes for and provides imagery to Square Media Group as well as accepting freelance photographic assignments. In addition, he has contributed to media organizations, sporting groups, and individuals across North America including the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, Chatham-Kent Sports Network, the Golf Association of Michigan, League 1 Ontario, as well as numerous colleges and universities in Canada and the United States. Email Ian Shalapata