By Ted Beale
(WINDSOR, ON) – The St. Clair College women’s basketball team departs Wednesday for their pre-tournament practice in preparation for the OCAA Provincial Championship, hosted by Centennial College in Scarborough. The Saints will attempt to upset 4-time defending OCAA Champion Algonquin Thunder on Thursday with the tip time set for 3:00 pm.
Algonquin (15-1) had only one loss this season, to St. Lawrence but slipped to 2nd place by virtue of the tie-breaker in the East Region.
The Thunder come off an 85-62 victory over Sheridan in the cross-over play-off to qualify for the OCAA’s. They are led by 5th year 5’ 5” point guard Felicia Mazerolle, who stands 4th in provincial scoring at 17.3 points per game and distributes 4.4 assists per game. She is a top defender managing 3.9 steals per game which is 2nd in the OCAA.
Teammates Lindsay Whittaker and Francesca Bellehumeur-Moya also averaged double figures at 13.1 and 10.9 points per game, respectively, but the entire roster is experienced and their height can match up with any team in the province.
The Saints are riding a 6-game winning streak and coming off a 73-60 home court win over Durham in the qualifying game this past weekend.
Second-year forward Shannon Kennedy led the province in total points scored and averaged 19.3 points per contest, good for 2nd in the OCAA. She made 43.1% from beyond the 3-point arc. Kennedy also ranks top 10 in the OCAA with 8.1 rebounds per game while contributing defensively with 2.7 steals per game.
Second-year point guard Meighen Boyd has a double digit scoring average at 11.0 points per game while ranking 3rd in the province with 4.6 assists per game.
St. Clair won an OCAA Bronze Medal at this tournament last year and will look to improve on that performance this coming weekend.
The OCAA Championship Awards Banquet will take place Thursday morning.
Day 1 – March 5
- 1pm – Game #1: Niagara (5th West, 12-7) vs. Humber (1st West, 17-1)
- 3pm – Game #2: St. Clair (3rd West, 13-6) vs. Algonquin (2nd East, 15-1)
- 6pm – Game #3: Centennial (3rd East, 11-5) vs. Mohawk (2nd West, 16-2)
- 8pm – Game #4: Fanshawe (4th West, 13-6) vs. St. Lawrence K (1st East, 15-1)
Day 2 – March 6
- 1pm – Game #5: Loser Game#1 vs. Loser Game#2
- 3pm – Game #6: Loser Game#3 vs. Loser Game#4
- 6pm – Game #7: Winner Game#1 vs. Winner Game#2
- 8pm – Game #8: Winner Game#3 vs. Winner Game#4
Day 3 – March 7th
- 10am – Game #9: Loser Game#7 vs. Winner Game#6
- 12pm – Game #10: Loser Game#8 vs. Winner Game#5
- 5pm – Bronze: Winner Game#9 vs. Winner Game#10
- 7pm – Gold: Winner Game#7 vs. Winner Game#8