Death Sentence Imposed On Boston Bomber

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

(BOSTON, MA) – A federal judge in Boston formally sentenced Dzhokhar A Tsarnaev on June 24, for his role in using weapons of mass destruction at the 2013 Boston Marathon. US District Judge George A O’Toole, of the District of Massachusetts, imposed a sentence of death and multiple consecutive life sentences.

In May 2014, a federal jury in Boston recommended that Tsarnaev be sentenced to death. The counts on which the jury recommended a death sentence all related to the pressure cooker bomb Tsarnaev planted and detonated in front of the Forum restaurant, killing Lingzi Lu and Martin Richard.

The same jury convicted Tsarnaev on all 30 counts of the indictment on April 8, 2015.

Tsarnaev, 21, a US citizen formerly residing in Cambridge, MA, was convicted of use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and conspiracy, bombing of a place of public use resulting in death and conspiracy, malicious destruction of property resulting in death and conspiracy, use of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, use of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence causing death, carjacking resulting in serious bodily injury, interference with commerce by threats or violence, and aiding and abetting.

Beginning no later than February 2013, Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, conspired to detonate improvised explosive devices (IEDs), bomb places of public use, and destroy property. On April 15, 2013, during the 117th running of the Boston Marathon, the brothers placed two pressure cooker bombs filled with shrapnel among the crowds of spectators on Boylston Street and then detonated the bombs seconds apart, killing three people, maiming 17, and injuring hundreds more.

The brothers fled the scene in the chaos of the destruction.

Three days later, on April 18, Tsarnaev and his brother, armed with five IEDs and a Ruger semiautomatic pistol that Tsarnaev had borrowed from a friend, drove to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) campus where they shot and killed MIT Police Officer Sean Collier and attempted to steal his service weapon.

Approximately 20 minutes later, they carjacked a Mercedes SUV, kidnapped the driver, and forced him to drive to a gas station, and  robbed him of $800 along the way. After the driver managed to escape, the brothers drove to Laurel Street and Dexter Avenue in Watertown, MA, where they exploded additional IEDs and engaged in a fire-fight with Watertown police officers.

During the stand-off, Tsarnaev drove the carjacked vehicle at three officers, attempting to kill them, and ran over his brother as he escaped. Tsarnaev hid in a winterized boat in a backyard in Watertown until his apprehension and arrest the following night.

His brother died from injuries sustained at the scene.


The Latest Sports News

About the Author

Ian Shalapata
Ian writes for and provides imagery to Square Media Group as well as accepting freelance photographic assignments. In addition, he has contributed to media organizations, sporting groups, and individuals across North America including the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, Chatham-Kent Sports Network, the Golf Association of Michigan, League 1 Ontario, as well as numerous colleges and universities in Canada and the United States. Email Ian Shalapata