Stars Draw At Home With Durham


Stephen Ademolu (l) pushes the ball forward during the 1st half of Friday’s match at McHugh Soccer Complex against Durham United FC.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

Header-image-Shalapata-2By Ian Shalapata

(WINDSOR, ON) – The Windsor Stars finally broke they losing streak by drawing with Durham United FC at home Friday evening. The 1-1 result was little consolation for the Stars after giving up the tying goal with just 17 minutes left in the match.

Both sides started on a tentative foot as they sought to establish their game and look for weaknesses in the opposition. Windsor, however, was the first to strike as Luis Cortes split the defense and went through to deposit the ball across the goal line.

The Stars continued to push forward, winning corner kicks, and sending strikes wide or over the goal. The United defense strung out across the pitch and quickly filled the open space when needed.

The defensive posture by Durham frustrated the Windsor side. The home club could put a sustained drive together, instead replying on through balls for individual rushes. The play by the Durham keeper was also designed to wind down the clock and slow the play as much as possible.


Brendan Woodfull (18) lets a shot go at the Durham goal. The strike would be hauled in by the keeper as the two sides played to a 1-1 draw.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.

Due to an injury to Windsor’s Martin Nyul inside the 18, the referee added an extra minute of stoppage time to the first half. However, the teams went to the dressing room with the 1-nil score unchanged.

In the second frame, the Stars seemed content to sit on the one-goal lead and to adopt the Durham style of play. Though Windsor would have chances on goal, there was little effort in challenging the United keeper for the ball.

In the 73rd minute, Durham players made a run up the left side and deep into the Windsor end. United’s Tristan Grant stepped around the Stars’ defender and beat the keeper to knot the match at 1 apiece. Windsor would throw what they could against the Durham wall after that, but failed to penetrate with anything serious.

“The 4-hour drive getting up here, a lot of us, we had a lot of talks on how we wanted to play,” said United’s head coach Sanford Carabin, post match. “We had a really good understanding on how we were going to defend. I’m glad for the boys, they worked hard. Every single one of them.”

After four minutes of stoppage, Durham would escape Windsor with a well earned away point while the Stars move on to prepare for Sigma FC this Wednesday in Amherstburg. United returns home for a Wednesday match against Woodbridge at Kinsmen Park, in Pickering. Both matches begin at 8:00 pm.


Martinho Dumevski (10) shields the ball from Stephen Ademolu during play at McHugh Soccer Complex on 25 September 2015 in League 1 Ontario play.
Photo by Ian Shalapata.


About the Author

Ian Shalapata
Ian writes for and provides imagery to Square Media Group as well as accepting freelance photographic assignments. In addition, he has contributed to media organizations, sporting groups, and individuals across North America including the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, Chatham-Kent Sports Network, the Golf Association of Michigan, League 1 Ontario, as well as numerous colleges and universities in Canada and the United States. Email Ian Shalapata