Peewee Warlocks Score Impressive Weekend

Windsor's Nate Dethomasis takes some punishment to get the pass off against London's Raden Kublinskas.Photo by Devan Mighton.

Windsor’s Nate Dethomasis takes some punishment to get the pass off against London’s Raden Kublinskas.
Photo by Devan Mighton.

Mighton-header columnBy Devan Mighton

(WINDSOR, ON) – The Windsor Warlocks Peewee Rep Team picked up 6 of 8 points over the weekend.  A pair of wins in Sarnia on Saturday combined with consecutive draws Sunday, while hosting London, amounted to a great start to the season for the local club.

On Saturday, the Warlocks hit the road to square off with the Sarnia Pacers for a doubleheader. In the opening game, the Windsor’s Ngwiisus Whiteye went right to work, popping a goal past Pacers’ goalie Aidan Foster.  Minutes later, Calum Brennan added to the lead.

Later in the frame, Whiteye would snipe again to the give the Warlocks a 3-0 lead after one.  Windsor goalie Marcus Stanley picked up the shutout period.

Sarnia would open the scoring in the middle stanza, with a marker from Brett Vince.  The Warlocks would expand their lead by 2 before the period would end, with goals coming from Malikye Good and another from Brennan.

Windsor and the Pacers would trade goals early in the third, with Connor Adams sniping for Sarnia and Whiteye completing the hat-trick in reply.  The Warlocks would clamp down their defense and finish the game with a 6-2 win.

Windsor's Nate Dowling led the 5-goal comeback in the weekend's final game.Photo by Devan Mighton.

Windsor’s Nate Dowling led the 5-goal comeback in the weekend’s final game.
Photo by Devan Mighton.

In the afternoon match, Brennan would score the lone goal of the first period, as Stanley would pick up his second shutout period of the day.

Early in the middle frame, Sarnia knotted the game at one off a goal from Owen MacDonald.  Instead of skulking away, the Warlocks stomped down on the pedal and went to town on the Pacers.  A half-period deluge of scoring in the second put the breaks to any Sarnia run, with a pair of blasts from Whiteye and individual markers from Nate Dethomasis and Charlie Paquette.

Down 5-1, the Pacers attempted a comeback in the third.  On the back of a shutout period from Foster, Sarnia was able to get back a pair before time ran out on them.  Scoring for the home team was Nolan Cadieux and Victor Tang.

Coach Jason Brennan credited hard work from his players as the key factor in the victories.

Windsor's Marcus Stanley had 4 SOPs in as many games.Photo by Devan Mighton.

Windsor’s Marcus Stanley had 4 SOPs in as many games.
Photo by Devan Mighton.

“Calum [Brennan], Malikye [Good], and Ngwiisus [Whiteye] made contributions at both ends of the floor, while Braeden [Burke] played stellar D,” Brennan said.

The Coach was also happy with his goaltending, saying.

“Marcus [Stanley] was reliable in net [for us],” he said.

The team’s other goalie, MJ Schwager, spent the weekend as a runner for his club.

On Mother’s Day, the Warlock returned to Windsor to host the London Blue Devils at the Forest Glade Arena.  In what amounted to be a pair of draws, the two games were loaded with comeback drama for both clubs.

Matt Prendergast got the first game going, nailing a shot behind Stanley to give London the early lead.  Not to be outdone, Keagan Renaud would even up the game before the buzzer sounded the end of the first.

Windsor's Braeden Burke looks for the breakout pass.Photo by Devan Mighton.

Windsor’s Braeden Burke looks for the breakout pass.
Photo by Devan Mighton.

Late in the middle frame, Nate Dowling gave the Warlocks their first advantage of the game.  He would be the only scorer in the second, as Stanley picked up his third blanked period of the weekend.

In the last stanza, Raden Kublinskas made the game anew with an early snipe for the Blue Devils.  Midway through, Windsor retook the lead when Koah Frias dented the mesh.  As the period progressed, London’s pressure intensified, and with 5 minutes to go they knotted the game again with a goal from Tage Gallant.

The game ended in a 3-3 draw.

Later that day, the Warlocks and Blue Devils locked horns again.

London came out with a vengeance, blasting four goals in the first frame.  Scoring was Gallant, Matteo Santagapita, Marcus Hicks, and Blake Lebeau.  Despite this, Windsor still got on the board with a snipe from Dowling.

The middle frame was all London again, with Prendergast and Lebeau picking up scoring markers.  Meanwhile, goalkeeper Jayden Reyers maintained a scoreless period between the pipes.

Windsor's Ngwiisus Whiteye cuts to the crease as London's Marcus Hicks looks on.Photo by Devan Mighton.

Windsor’s Ngwiisus Whiteye cuts to the crease as London’s Marcus Hicks looks on.
Photo by Devan Mighton.

The Warlocks were down 6-1 with only a period to go.  Cue the comeback.

Not two minutes into the final period, Dowling started the surge for Windsor.  Minutes later, Whiteye would bang in another.  With under 10 minutes to go, Paquette brought the Warlocks within a pair.  Renaud would score next, making the score 6-5, and with only 1:16 left, Dowling finished his hat-trick to give his boys the tie.

Stanley would pick up a fourth blanked period in as many games to finish off the weekend.

“Dowling’s leadership was undeniable,” Coach Brennan stated after the game. “The Nates [Dowling and Dethomasis] stepped-up, demonstrating toughness and strategy.  [While,] Keagan [Renaud] and Koah [Frias] established some offense of their own as we climbed back from a 6-1 deficit.”

The coach was quite grateful for the presence of Maddux Derkatz, Quinn Brennan, and Carson Woodall, called up from the Novice Rep team.

The Peewees are back in action on May 22nd, hosting the Wallaceburg Griffins at 10:00am and 1:00pm.


About the Author

Devan Mighton
Devan is a former star with the Windsor Clippers and now an aspiring writer and photographer. His work has appeared here at The Square as well as in the Lakeshore News,, Tecumseh Shoreline, and Southshore News. Devan lives with his family in Essex County. Email Devan Mighton